As part of my Great British Bake Off bake along challenge, I decided to make this pecan pie. I have never had pecan pie before but I have so say this is now my favourite!
- 225g gluten free plain flour (I used Doves Farm)
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- pinch salt
- 100g butter/ margarine
- 1 egg
- water to bind
- 80g pecans, chopped
- 65g light brown sugar
- 65g caster sugar
- 225g brown rice syrup (I used Biona)
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 40g butter/margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- additional pecans to decorate the top
Make the pastry:
- Sift the flour, icing sugar and xantham gum.
- Add the salt
- Add the butter and rub this in using your finger tips until you achieve a sandy texture.
- Add the egg.
- Bind the dough together adding small amounts of water at a time.
- Preheat oven to 175C (160C fan).
- Roll the dough between two sheets of cling film thinly and line a 23cm pie dish. Trim the edges with a sharp knife.
- Put the sugar and syrup in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool down.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs. Once the syrup has cooled add the syrup into the eggs whilst whisking.
- Add the butter, vanilla and salt. Continue whisking until combined.
- Add the chopped pecans into the pie crust.
- Pour the filling over the pecans.
- Gently place the remaining pecans on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 55 minutes. The surface should look crusty.