It was pastry week on the great british bake off this week. I am still baking along and made feta and spinach pastries and also a feta and spinach tart using this recipe.
Makes 1 tart or 6 small pastries
- 225g gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- pinch salt
- 100g butter/ margarine
- 1 egg
- water to bind
- 250g feta cheese
- 200g spinach
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped green parts of spring onion
- pinch of ground pepper
Make the pastry:
- Sift the flour and xantham gum.
- Add the salt
- Add the butter and rub this in using your finger tips until you achieve a sandy texture.
- Add the egg.
- Bind the dough together adding small amounts of water at a time.
Make the filling:
- Cook the spinach until wilted. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the rest of the ingredients for the filling.
If making a tart:
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of cling film. Roll out until thin and place into a pie or tart tin.
- Trim the off any excess.
- Pour in the filling.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for approximately 40-50 minutes. Timing may vary depending on the size and depth of your tin.
If making individual pastries:
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan assisted)
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of cling film.
- Use a round cutter to cut out 6 circles.
- Fill each with the filling.
- Brush the pastry edges with beaten egg.
- Fold over and pinch them together to seal.
- Brush the pastries with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes.