The weather has been incredibly cold over the past few weeks with temperatures dropping below 0C, so soup was a must.
This soup is very quick and easy to make. Not only is the soup delicious but it is also incredibly nutrient dense. Greens are great sources of phytochemicals, fibre and vitamins and minerals such as folate & iron.
- 1 tablespoon of garlic infused oil
- 1/2 bunch of chives, chopped
- dark green part of 6 spring onions, leafy hollow section only
- 200g potato, chopped into small cubes
- 1L vegetables stock *
- 200g spinach
- 200g kale
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100mls lactose free or dairy free cream for a vegan alternative
- creme fraiche to serve (optional)
*Choose a stock which is onion and garlic free such as Massel’s, Bays kitchen
- Heat a pot and add the oil. Fry the spring onion and chives.
- Add the potatoes and stock. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Add the spinach and kale. Cover the pot again and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until these are soft and wilted.
- Take off the heat and blend the soup using a hand blender until smooth. Add the lactose free cream and blend. If the soup is too thick you can add a little extra cream or water.
- Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- You can serve with creme fraiche. 40g of creme fraiche is low in lactose and should be tolerated by most.