For pastry week bake off challenge I decided to take on the technical challenge and make a baklava. Baklava is usually made with a mix of nuts including pistachios, however as these are high FODMAP I decided to move away from the classic flavours and opt for chocolate, orange and walnuts.
You will be pleased to hear that filo pastry has a safe low FODMAP portion, so this recipe using ready made filo; making it so easy to make! The star design makes it look impressive and it is definitely a show stopper.
Makes approx 30 baklava. Stick to 1 baklava per sitting.
For the filling:
- 150g walnuts, shelled toasted and finely chopped
- 70g dark chocolate
- 50g tahini
- zest of 1 orange
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 270g pack of ready made filo pastry
- 200g butter, melted
For the syrup:
- 70g caster sugar
- 150g brown rice syrup (you can also used 1/2 brown rice syrup and 1/2 honey)
- 3-4 slices of an orange
- Make the filling. Mix the walnuts, orange zest, sugar and cinnamon.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or using a bain marie. Mix the dark chocolate with the tahini and add into the nut mixture.
- Start assembling in a 20 x 20cm baking tray.
- Cut a square of filo pastry and place it at the bottom of the tin. Brush with melted butter.
- Repeat with a second square of dough and brush with butter.
- Place another two squares and any trimmings left. Brush with butter each time.
- Once you have layered 4 squares of filo and the trimmings add half of the nut mixture.
- Repeat this layering process, using another 4 squares of filo and any trimmings. Brush each layer of filo with melted butter.
- Add the remaining half of the nut mixture.
- Top a final layer of filo pastry. Place the trimmings on first so the top is flat.
- Cut the baklava in a star design, slicing all the way through the layers to the base. Pour the remaining butter over the top, then leave the baklava to stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 170C or 150C fan.
- Bake the baklava for 1 hour or until it is crisp and golden.
- Whilst it is baking prepare the syrup. Place the sugar, syrup and orange slices in a pan with 100 mls of water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once the baklava is ready, pour the cooled syrup over the warm baklava.