Bake off is back! Last year I challenged myself to bake along the contestants every week and make one low FODMAP bake. This year I am challenging myself to do the same again. You can follow along on my instagram page @mevsibs.
For week 1; cake week I was inspired by the bakers making mini rolls. As I love everything cinnamon, I made cinnamon roll mini rolls. This one is definitely for those of you with a sweet tooth!
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 115g gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 25g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon gluten free flour
Cream cheese filling
- 60g lactose free cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 25g unsalted butter, room temperature
Cream cheese icing
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lactose free milk
- 1 heaped teaspoon lactose free cream cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and line the swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- For the cinnamon butter; combine the cinnamon, sugar, butter and flour. Place this in a piping bag and pipe lines across the lined swiss roll tin approximately 0.5cm apart.
To make the sponge
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks on high speed until pale. Slowly add in the caster sugar and vanilla while whisking on high speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Sift the dry ingredients. Add this into the egg yolk mixture and fold in with a spatula until well combined.
- Slowly and gently fold in the egg whites in the batter. Be gentle as to keep the mixture light and airy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack, cover with a damp towel and leave to cool completely.
- Turn out the cooled cake onto a sheet of baking paper.
For the filling
- Sift the icing sugar.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together
- Add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
- Turn the cake so the short end is facing you. Score a line 4cm in from each short end of the cake.
- Spread the cream cheese filling over the top and towards the edges.
- Roll up the cake starting from the short edge and stop in the middle.
- Repeat this with the edge furthest away from you and roll until both rolls meet in the middle.
- Cut down the center between the rolls.
- Trim the ends and cut each roll into three so you end up with 8 mini rolls. These are quite rich so you can even cut them smaller.
- Place the rolls, seam side down on a cooling rack and chill for 15 minutes for firm up.
Cream cheese icing – optional
Prepare the icing by combining all the ingredients together. Add more milk until you achieve the right dropping consistency.