Week 2 of the great british bake off was biscuit week and for the technical challenge they had to make coconut macaroons. So this week I have challenged myself to make a low FODMAP version of these without condensed milk. These beauties melt in your mouth.
Remember coconut is high in sorbitol in larger quantities. A low FODMAP serving of these is 2 macaroons.
- 160g dried desiccated shredded coconut
- 10g gluten free flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- drop of vanilla essence
- pinch salt
- 1/2 zest of a lemon
- Dark chocolate
- Lime/lemon curd for filling. Recipe here
- Whisk the egg whites into stiff white peaks.
- Add the sugar in 1 tablespoon at a time whilst still whisking. You should get a nice and glossy shine and it will form nice stiff peaks.
- Add the vanilla essence and salt.
- Slowly add the coconut in until you have a soft dough.
- Leave to rest for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 150C
- Shape into balls. If you choose to fill with curd, make an indent and form into the shape of a nest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave the coconut macaroons to cool. Once cooled dip the macaroons into melted dark chocolate and drizzle with melted chocolate OR fill with a teaspoon of curd.