Last week I shared with you a low fodmap dough recipe therefore I wanted to share with you one of my favourite recipes to make with the dough. I used to live on Green Lanes in Haringey in London. The road was lined with Turkish shops and just underneath my tiny studio flat was a shop which made gozleme (stuffed turkish flatbread) and baklava. A lady used to sit in the shop front making gozleme all day. Since most of their fillings contains onions I decided to make a low FODMAP version of these tasty flatbreads. I have been making these for over a year now but never gotten around to posting the recipe. I have made these on numerous occasions for my friends and they have always been a huge success. Give these flatbreads a go as they are a definite crowd-pleaser! I love making these for picnics as they’re still good when served cold.
Feta and spinach stuffed flatbreads (Makes 8)
- 400g Gluten free all purpose flour/ plain flour
- 300g lactose free plain yogurt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- water to bind
- 200g feta cheese
- 200g spinach
- pepper to taste
- handful of chopped chives
- Make the dough.
- Combine the flour, yogurt and olive oil. Mix together to form a dough and add water slowly while kneading until you have a smooth soft dough.
- Leave it to rest for 20 minutes before using. In the meantime prepare the filling.
- Chop the spinach.
- Crumble the feta cheese and mix with the spinach.
- Season the mixture with the chives and pepper.
- Divide the dough into 8. You can also make much more by making party sized ones instead.
- Open the dough very thinly and cover half with a layer of the feta and spinach mixture.
- Fold the dough over and seal the edges with a little water.
- Put a pan on medium heat and once warm place the flatbread on.
- Cook until its a golden brown then flip and cook on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining flatbreads.
- While cooking the remaining flatbreads, place the cooked ones on a rack.
- They are best served warm but they still taste fantastic cold.
Breakfast, feta and spinach stuffed flatbreads
Other ideas of what to make with the dough:
- Pizza: Divide the dough into four and roll out thinly with a rolling pin. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220C or 200 fan-assisted for approximately 5 minutes. Then remove from the oven, top it with sauce, cheese and your toppings and cook until the cheese is melted and golden.