Feta cheese is one of my favourite cheeses so I was thrilled to find out that its also low FODMAP. With all the foods we have to sacrifice to manage IBS I think its only fair that we get to keep feta cheese. Today’s recipe features roasted vegetables and feta cheese! I try to include as many vegetables in my meals throughout the day for fibre, vitamins and minerals. Are you getting your 5-a-day? I know that this can prove hard to achieve for some IBS sufferers since insoluble fibre can be a trigger to some. I am lucky as insoluble fibre is not a trigger for me. If you find you have an issue with insoluble fibre try and peel the skins off and remove the seeds of the vegetables as this will help reduce the insoluble fibre content.
Ok! Here’s the recipe. Once again this makes quite a small portion size… I follow a diet where I eat small portion sizes frequently… i.e. I eat about every 2-3 hours. so I tend to eat 6 times a day; Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Eating regularly should help manage IBS symptoms and is usually one of the first approaches used. If you don’t follow this perhaps give it a go and let me know how you get along :). Also if you’re trying to lose weight this should also be effective!
Gluten free pasta with roasted vegetables and feta cheese
- 60g gluten/wheat free penne
- 1/4 can or carton passata (read the ingredient list and ensure there are no onions, garlic or ‘flavourings’)
- 1/2 a small carrot cut in slices
- 1/4 bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 zucchini/courgette sliced
- 1 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- sprig of thyme
- few basil leaves
- few parsley leaves
- 10g plain feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C. Chop vegetables and put in a baking dish. Add garlic infused oil and herbs and mix. If you don’t have fresh herbs you may use dried herbs instead. Put in oven for 15 minutes. Mix vegetables and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Cook passata until it starts to boil, turn off and take off the heat.
- Boil pasta. Adding some salt and olive oil to the water will ensure the pasta doesn’t stick.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the sauce and add the roasted vegetables.Mix everything together.
- Plate the pasta and top with crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!