With Valentine’s just around the corner I am sharing with you this prosecco cupcake recipe. After all prosecco is synonymous with Valentine’s day is it not? Whether you celebrate Valentine’s day or not these cupcakes will definitely make your day. Frankly, any day that promotes enjoying food, chocolates and a glass or two of Prosecco is a good day in my book.
Not only are these cupcakes delicious, but they are gluten free, low FODMAP AND also vegan!
Makes approximately 10-12 small cupcakes.
- 230g gluten free plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g margarine
- 25mls reduced prosecco
- Strawberry jam *
*Ensure it is low FODMAP. Check the ingredients and choose one without fructose. glucose-fructose syrup is ok.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Prepare the cupcake batter. Start by sifting the flour, xantham gum and baking soda.
- Add in the sugar and salt. Mix together.
- Add in all the wet ingredients, except for the vinegar.
- Line the cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Add the vinegar into the batter and mix well.
- Fill in the cupcake cases until 3/4 way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Whilst the cupcakes are baking, place 250mls of prosecco in a pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer it until the volume reduces to about 25mls. This will concentrate the flavour of the prosecco. Leave the reduced prosecco to cool completely before starting to make the frosting.
- Prepare the frosting by beating the icing sugar and margarine together until the mixture becomes sandy in texture.
- Add in the reduced prosecco a little at a time whilst beating slowly. Using a mixer helps. Once all the prosecco is incorporated, mix at higher speed until it becomes light and fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are cold, use an apple corer to remove the sponge from the centre.
- Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry jam and top with the cored cupcake sponge.
- Spoon some frosting over each cupcake and smooth using a palette. You can top with sprinkles, fresh strawberries or chocolate dipped strawberries