The weather is getting colder and there’s nothing like a nice warm bowl of soup to get you all warmed up! So after a long busy week at work yesterday I made this thai inspired noodle soup and ate it cuddled up next to the heater while watching telly. Being thai inspired this soup is a bit spicy, but you can adjust the amount of chilli you use to suit your tolerance.
Thai inspired noodle soup
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 4 spring onions, green part
- 1 birds eye red chilli, finely chopped
- 3cm of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass stick, hit with the back of the knife to create small indentations to help release the flavour during cooking
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 700ml chicken stock. * ensure it is low FODMAP
- 50ml coconut milk
- 100ml lactose free cream
- Dash fish sauce
- 2 handful frrzen prawns or 1 pack of fresh prawns (optional)
- 150g vermicelli or rice noodles
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh coriander and thai basil for garnish
- Fry spring onions, chilli and ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add lemon grass, kaffir leaves and prawns.
- Add ground cumin, ground coriander and turmeric. Mix everything well.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, and rice cream.
- Season with a dash of fish sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil
- Simmer for 10- 15 mins.
- Add juice of a lime and mix.
- Remove the lemon grass stick and kaffir lime leaf.
- Add the vermicelli noodles and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and top with chopped fresh coriander and thai basil.
If you like this recipe and want to see more click follow to receive an e-mail when a new post is up!