As you may know the low FODMAP diet is not a gluten free diet, therefore for week 3 bread week on the Great British Bake Off I am making a sourdough version of the olive and cheese bread stick the bakers had to make for their technical challenge. These bread sticks are absolutely delicious.
Sourdough bread has been tested to be low FODMAP at a 2 slice serving (about 100g). If you are still on elimination phase watch your portion size and aim for a 100g serving. If you are in the personalized phase you may be able to have a larger portion, so adjust this based on your own tolerance.
- 420g strong white bread flour
- 8g fine sea salt
- 145g starter (active), fed 12 hours before
- 240g water
- 100g cheese e.g. manchego, cheddar
- 100g pitted green olives
- olive oil
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl and combine.
- Add the started and water.
- With one hand gently bring together until just combined.
- You can either continue using a food processor or continue kneading on a work surface.
- If using a food processor, beat using a dough hook for 8-10 minutes on medium to high speed until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- If kneading by hand, use the heel of your hand to push the dough into the work surface away from you, and then bringing the dough back to the starting point. Keep kneading for at least 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Leave to rest for approximately 8 minutes.
- Give the dough a fold. Pick the top two corners pull up, stretching the dough upwards and pull across to the opposite end.
- Next pick up the bottom end a do the same.
- Continue by repeating the same motion with the left and right sides.
- Flip the dough so that the bottom becomes the top.
- Cover the dough and leave to rest at room temperature for 16 hours.
- Add the olives and cheese and mix in until well incorporated.
- Let the dough rest again for 3-4 hours.
- Divide the dough into 8 and form into a bread stick. Roll into polenta, this will make it crunchy on the outside.
- Place on a lined baking tray. Cover and allow to rest for an hour or until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220C for 16 minutes or until golden.