The first time I heard of mug cake I was beyond myself in excitement. A cake which is ready in 2 minutes in a microwave sounded too good to be true…. In a way it was, as all the recipes I tried ended up in an uneatable mess. I had completely given up on mug cakes but recently I gave it another go and discovered a brilliant recipe. This one is so light and spongy! I love it and can’t have enough of it now.
- 40g oats, ground. Grind the oats using a blender. (Use gluten free oats if you have coeliac disease)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Use gluten free oats if you have coeliac disease)
- 1/2 of an unripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoon lactose free milk of choice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract (optional)
- Mix the oats with the baking powder and sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix everything together until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease a mug with a little bit of oil.
- Pour the mixture into the mug. The batter should fill 3/4 to 7/8 of the mug. Cook in a microwave on high for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- I love serving mine with some fresh blueberry puree.
I received some questions regarding the mug cake so here are some further tips: