I can’t begin to explain how excited I am about this post! Yesterday I attempted to make wheat free roti and to my surprise they turned out really well. I couldn’t be happier! Look at that beauty!
Here’s the recipe! This will make 2 roti.
- 70g gluten/ wheat free flour (I used dove’s farm white flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- Mix flour, salt and xantham gum in a bowl.
- Create a well and add oil. Mix oil with the flour.
- Create another well and start adding water slowly while mixing to create a dough.
- Keep adding water until you form a soft smooth dough.
- Make into a ball and rub a little oil over the dough ball and cover. Leave to rest for about 20 -30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll out the dough. Use minimal flour while rolling as to not dry out the dough.
- Heat a pan or a griddle. I used a crepe pan to cook these. The right temperature while cooking these is crucial! Temperature should be quite high so the rotis do not dry out and become hard. I have an electric hob with heat option from 1 to 9. I set mine to 8.
- Once the pan is heated, place the roti on the pan. Flip over once the side touching the pan (side a) is cooked slightly. This is what it look liked when I flipped it.
- Keep cooking (side b) for 1-2 minutes until it starts puffing and is fully cooked on this side. Then flip again to finish cooking the first side (side a).
- The roti should puff a lot now. Press the sides down slightly and the roti should be cooked!
- Cook the second roti the same way and serve!